Policies Governing the Use of BEN's Attic:
- All PENN faculty and staff with a PennKey have the ability to view, suggest or purchase a
listing on Ben’s Attic. When suggesting a listing or making a purchase, the name of the users
Business Administrator must be entered and will be validated by the system administrator.
- Fees: There are no fees for the use of this application
- BEN's Attic will not approve postings of any item that is determined
- Computer related equipment – please contact your LSP for this disposal
- Assets valued over $5000 that do not have a retirement slip submitted to the Property
- Hazardous materials including asbestos, chemicals, biological agents, toxins, recombinant
DNA, radioactive materials and sealed sources. Hazardous material must be transferred
and disposed through the Office of Environmental Health & Radiation Safety (EHRS)
in accordance with the Waste Management section of the EHRS website. For chemical
recycling or questions please contact
- BEN's Attic holds no liability to provide support (either technical, mechanical,
software related or otherwise) for post-sale items.
- If the item has a University Property Management Inventory tag and ownership of
equipment is transferred between schools/centers, the selling department is responsible
for completing the Equipment
Authorization for Retirement
of Equipment Form (for Equipment with an acquisition cost of $5k or more).
Please refer to the
Relocations Procedure for detailed instructions and is applicable to all
- In case of motor vehicles, the Office of Risk Management is responsible for maintaining
title, registration and insurance information for all University vehicles. The selling
department must notify the Office of Risk Management whenever ownership of a vehicle
is transferred from one department to another, however Penn remains the owner so
there is no need to transfer the title only need to transfer the vehicle as an asset.
For additional information, contact Endo Mayuko
(215) 898.4327 in the Office of Risk Management.
- Property or equipment that was used with or is potentially contaminated
with hazardous or infectious substances may be transferred through Ben’s Attic provided
that (1) hazardous material has been removed, (2) the equipment has been thoroughly
cleaned and decontaminated, and (3) all hazard warning labels have been removed.
Complete procedures for the disposal or transfer equipment are found in the Waste Management section of the EHRS web site. The seller
(PI and/or Department) is responsible to work with EHRS to assure compliance.
Additional requirements for equipment used
with RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL include:
Certain equipment typically contains a radioactive source. DO NOT transfer these
devices without EHRS approval. Contact EHRS at
EHRS-LICENSES@LISTS.UPENN.EDU to obtain approval.
- Liquid Scintillation Counters
- Survey meters/Geiger counters
- Static eliminator devices
- Gas Chromatographs
Other equipment that has been used for radiation work must be decontaminated and
monitored with an appropriate radiation detector before transfer. Refer to the Radiation Safety
section of the EHRS web site for additional information.
- Surplus property is only available to University departments. Personal purchases
of surplus property are not permitted.
- Surplus property will be listed at a maximum of ninety (90) days unless otherwise
posted by selling department.
- Sponsored Research Requirements: Please refer to OMB Circular A-110. Procurement
Standards, Sections 40 through 48 for guidelines on procurement requirements for
equipment for federally sponsored projects when acquiring an item from another department.
- All suggested listings will be reviewed by the program administrator for adherence
to policy before items are approved and posted.
- Listings can be made at $0, if you merely want to dispose of surplus property.
- It is the seller's responsibility to investigate and determine an appropriate minimum
price for the auction.
- It is the seller's responsibility to ensure that the item for sale is in proper
- Surplus property is listed for sale –As Is -– This means that the item is sold
as is, with no warranty or guarantee as to the condition of the item unless otherwise
- Manufacturer transfer warranty – These warranties are for manufacturer warranties
that may be transferred. Note: Contact your manufacturer to ensure that the warranty
is indeed transferable.
- It is the seller's responsibility to provide appropriate pictures of the item(s)
for sale. If it is necessary to take further pictures of the item(s). It is always
a good idea to take as many pictures to promote your product.
- It is the seller's responsibility to properly clean and prepare the item for sale.
- It is the seller's responsibility to provide a complete and accurate listing of
specifications for the item(s) being sold.
- It is the responsibility of the seller to provide the original packaging or package
it to prevent any damage during transfer.
- It's the buyer's responsibility to arrange item transportation between buyer and seller.
- The buyer is responsible for processing a budget journal transaction to the selling department’s
account number in the amount of the winning bid or sale.
Surplus Property disclaimer
University of Pennsylvania online auctions are open to the University faculty and
staff. Sale of all surplus property is, as is and where is, without warranty. The
description of surplus property offered for sale has been compiled from available
data, but there is no guarantee or warranty on the part of University of Pennsylvania
as to condition or quality of surplus property. University of Pennsylvania WILL
NOT SHIP. No service of any kind will be furnished by the University, and the successful
bidder shall assume any costs of shipping, unless otherwise indicated. No refunds
or adjustments will be made on any award(s). Bids submitted shall remain firm and
effective for a period of seven (7) days following the closing date. Successful
bidder will be required to remit payment within ten (10) calendar days and remove
property within fifteen (15) days from date of notice of award. No property may
be removed by the purchaser prior to making full payment.
Disposing of Unwanted Items
If after 90 days in Ben’s Attic, a buyer for an item is not found, Sellers are encouraged
to donate appropriate items through local volunteer agencies. We recommend Penn Volunteers
in Public Service (Penn VIPS) or West Philadelphia Free Cycle. Sellers and Buyers can
join the latter group by visiting their website at
Manual (refer to policies 1106.0 through 1106.7 – the disposal policies are
1106.3 (general) and 1106.31 (computer equipment))
Property Management Procedures (refer to the procedure on retirements)
for Retirement of Equipment Form (for Equipment with an acquisition cost of $5k
This will be permanently deleted, are you sure you want to delete?